POLICY: Layout and Field Engineering

PURPOSE: To ensure the building and its components are positioned per the contract documents.

RESPONSIBILITY: The Superintendent

PROCEDURE:

1. The following are minimum items to be located and established by a licensed land surveyor:

• Site property boundaries (if applicable)
  • Building corners
  • Elevation bench marks
  • Roadways and drive entrances

2. Layout required not listed above will be as provided in Carter & Carter Construction’s subcontract agreements.

3. If Carter & Carter Construction is responsible for layout, the following standards should be strictly observed:

Batter boards will be constructed as follows:

• They will be constructed in straight lines.
  • Stakes will be cut off flush with ledger boards and rigidly braced.
  • Saw marks will denote only column center lines.
  • Ledger boards will be level and at a given elevation.

Partition layout will be as follows:

• Partitions will be laid out on the slab the day after the slab is poured.
  • Wall lines will be denoted with a single blue chalk line for one side of the metal track and an “X” on the side the wall is to be constructed on.
  • Door and window openings with numbers should be marked with swings denoted as applicable. (All written notes will be performed with permanent markers, i.e. magnum marker, etc.)
  • Built-in accessories, i.e. fire extinguisher cabinets, medicine cabinets and other recess items should be noted that require coordination.
  • Wall ratings, as applicable, will be stenciled on both sides of partitions with 4” letters. Bright orange paint will be used.

NOTE: Care should be taken to use the exact terminology shown on drawings. If the terminology conflicts with code, an R.F.I. should be submitted.

• Floor finishes, i.e. carpet, VCT, etc. should be denoted in the center of each room.
  • At certain intervals (daily at a minimum) lines/markings will be sealed with a high quality sealer to ensure they are permanent.

NOTE: Layout will be conducted in as professional and quality manner as any other permanent building component.

Feedback

Was this helpful?

Yes No
You indicated this topic was not helpful to you ...
Could you please leave a comment telling us why? Thank you!
Thanks for your feedback.

Post your comment on this topic.

Post Comment