POLICY: Fire Alarm System Check Out
PURPOSE: To ensure the proper operation of the fire alarm system through systematic inspection and check out.
RESPONSIBILITY: Electrician/Fire Alarm Subcontractor
PROCEDURE: The Superintendent will check to ensure the following items have been completed and is accurate.
1. Ensure compliance and check out assistance is required of the fire alarm subcontractor through specific terms of the subcontract. The subcontractor should furnish drawings and assign identification numbers as required.
2. Assign each device an identification number. Mark the identification number on the as built and fire alarm drawings and list on Fire Alarm Inspection Log.
2 = Fire Alarm Zone Number
8 = Type of Device
6 = Serial Number in Zone
3. Schedule and check devices by zones. Ensure the activity “Fire Alarm Check Out” is represented on the Near Term Schedule.
4. The fire alarm subcontractor should date and initial the installation check column on the inspection form within a zone prior to beginning Verification Check #1.
5. The actual inspection should occur after a zone is complete and the annunciator is operational.
6. After the zone is complete and the subcontractor has completed his installation check, inspect as follows:
Verification Check Number 1:
- Verify presence and proper placement of all fire alarm and related devices.
- Enter inspector’s initials and date in proper space on log.
Operational Check Number 2:
- Check operation by simulating actual conditions. Care must be taken to verify actual sequence of events, i.e. A.H.U. shutdowns, sprinkler flows, elevator shunts, etc. Ensure strict compliance with the specifications. Deviations by the subcontractor must be corrected.
7. A final check out should be performed prior to final or state agency inspections. The entire system should be tested as a whole. The inspector should date and initial the log upon completion. Ensure the “Final Fire Alarm Check Out” activity is represented on the Near Term Schedule.
8. Furnish as-built sepias and inspection log to the owner with closeout documents.
9. Codes for Type of Device in Fire Alarm System
- Tamper Switch
- Flow Switch
- Surface Mounted Smoke Detector
- Duct Smoke Detector
- Fire Alarm Pull Station
- Light and Audio Signal
- Magnetic Door Hold Open
- Fire Alarm Terminal Cabinet
- Fire Alarm Control Panel
- Annunciator Panel
- Fire Department Relay
- Elevator Recovery Smoke Detector
- Elevator Recovery Relay
- Smoke Damper Relay
- Fan Shutdown Relay
- Jockey Pump Pressure Sensor
10. The completed checkout log will be filed in the “Miscellaneous” book under the “Fire Alarm Log” heading.