POLICY: Out of Town Expense/Living Allowance Reimbursement
PURPOSE: To maintain a standard policy for the reimbursement of out of town expenses for supervisors assigned to projects more than 60 miles from the corporate office.
RESPONSIBILITY: Senior Project Manager
PROCEDURE: Personnel assigned to projects more than 60 miles from the corporate office, or from their primary residence, will receive a monthly expense reimbursement/living allowance in accordance with the attached schedule and the expense agreement.
1. In accordance with the Project Start Up Policy, the Senior Project Manager for the project will confirm to each member of the project team their expense agreement for the project term. Any change made to the expense/reimbursement agreement must be reviewed and approved by the Senior Project Manager.
2. A copy of the expense agreement will be forwarded to the accounting department with the applicable cost report codes.
3. Living allowance direct deposit will be issued by submitting a reimbursement request on Expensify. This will be done on a monthly basis in accordance with the Project Start Up Expense Agreement.
4. All allowances pertain to both temporary (less than one year) and extended (more than one year) out of town expenses. Travel expenses for temporary travel are not reported as income according to Federal Guidelines. Travel expenses for indefinite travel are to be included as income according to Federal Guidelines and will be handled accordingly. Truck allowances will be included as income according to Federal Guidelines and all applicable taxes will be withheld.
Monthly Living Allowance/Travel:
1. Monthly living expenses will be reimbursed only when employees are working at a project jobsite more than 60 miles from the corporate office or primary residence.
2. Employees on over night travel or assigned to projects with a two month or shorter duration will be reimbursed for lodging at cost. Meals and incidental expenses will be reimbursed per day in accordance with local rates established for the area. Requests should be submitted on Expensify.
3. Travel incurred by salaried employees due to job completion, repair or warranty work on completed projects more than 60 miles from their project will receive short term benefits as described in Paragraph No. 2 above.
Monthly Trips Home:
1. Trips home will be reimbursed at the cost of the most economical airline fair or at the Federal Government’s rate per mile (contact the Accounting Department for the curent rate per mile). Method of transportation to be approved by the Senior Project Manager. For the purchase of airline tickets, refer to Human Resources.
2. There will be no reimbursement for monthly trips home not taken. Trips home cannot be accumulated and must be taken monthly for reimbursement.
3. Trips home will be limited to twice monthly and not every two weeks.
4. The time frame for monthly trips home will be Friday to Sunday.
5. Monthly trips home will be limited to the employee only. Trips for spouses or family members will not be reimbursed.
6. Monthly trip home expense reimbursements will be requested on Expensify.
1. *Relocation expense costs are defined as those costs associated with trailer rental or moving vans required for the transportation of personal belongings (furniture, appliances, clothes, etc.) that cannot be transported in the employee’s vehicle.
2. *Relocation expense costs will be reimbursed on a one-time basis to the project at the beginning and then at the completion of the project.
3. **Mileage for relocation to a jobsite will be reimbursed at the Federal Government’s rate per mile (contact the Accounting Department for the current rate per mile) for mileage at the beginning of the project and at the completion of the project.
4. Relocation expense reimbursements will be requested on Expensify.