POLICY: Lumber Inventory
PURPOSE: To ensure lumber is received as ordered in the purchase order.
RESPONSIBILITY: Superintendent/Project Manager
1. The Project Manager and Superintendent will select a Material Manager prior to receiving any material. It will be the Superintendent’s responsibility to set up and maintain the lumber inventory notebook as outlined in this policy.
2. Obtain the lumber list with the quantities purchased from the Project Manager.
3. List every lumber item on a separate Master Inventory Control Worksheet and the quantity ordered (see attached example).
4. As orders are received, enter the lading count, Carter & Carter Construction’s count, variance, total received to date, and amounts still to be received in each column.
5. The lumber inventory is to be maintained in such a manner that at any time the lumber that has been received is known as compared to the amount estimated.
6. All lumber orders (including fill in orders) are to be placed with a Purchase Order produced by the Project Manager.
7. A copy of the lumber take off for each building type will be issued from the Estimating Department for the Superintendent’s use only (see attached example).