POLICY: Subcontractor Insurance Certificate
PURPOSE: To have adequate insurance coverage.
RESPONSIBILITY: Project Manager
1. An insurance certificate will be received from each subcontractor prior to his starting any work. No subcontractor shall be allowed to perform work without valid insurance coverage.
2. Insurance certificates are to be requested when the subcontract is written, based on the specifications, the general contract provisions or Carter & Carter’s requirements (whichever are more stringent).
3. Typical insurance limits and other required language are noted on the attached sample certificate. These requirements should be communicated to the subcontractor and included in their bid.
4. The actual amount of insurance required should be evaluated as necessary on a case by case basis determined by the amount of risk involved in the subcontractor’s work. (For instance, the requirements for a “blasting” sub would be different.)
5. A copy of each insurance certificate shall be filed with the subcontract at the jobsite. The original certificate shall be filed in the subcontractor insurance file.