POLICY: Layout and Field Engineering
PURPOSE: To ensure the building and its components are positioned per the contract documents.
RESPONSIBILITY: The Superintendent
1. The following are minimum items to be located and established by a licensed land surveyor:
- Site property boundaries (if applicable)
- Building corners
- Elevation bench marks
- Roadways and drive entrances
2. Layout required not listed above will be as provided in Carter & Carter Construction’s subcontract agreements.
3. If Carter & Carter Construction is responsible for layout, the following standards should be strictly observed:
Batter boards will be constructed as follows:
- They will be constructed in straight lines.
- Stakes will be cut off flush with ledger boards and rigidly braced.
- Saw marks will denote only column center lines.
- Ledger boards will be level and at a given elevation.
Partition layout will be as follows:
- Partitions will be laid out on the slab the day after the slab is poured.
- Wall lines will be denoted with a single blue chalk line for one side of the metal track and an “X” on the side the wall is to be constructed on.
- Door and window openings with numbers should be marked with swings denoted as applicable. (All written notes will be performed with permanent markers, i.e. magnum marker, etc.)
- Built-in accessories, i.e. fire extinguisher cabinets, medicine cabinets and other recess items should be noted that require coordination.
- Wall ratings, as applicable, will be stenciled on both sides of partitions with 4” letters. Bright orange paint will be used.
NOTE: Care should be taken to use the exact terminology shown on drawings. If the terminology conflicts with code, an R.F.I. should be submitted.
- Floor finishes, i.e. carpet, VCT, etc. should be denoted in the center of each room.
- At certain intervals (daily at a minimum) lines/markings will be sealed with a high quality sealer to ensure they are permanent.
NOTE: Layout will be conducted in as professional and quality manner as any other permanent building component.